My journey to a homemade pantry and a happy family...

These are my experiences, successes and failures, striving to feed my family the healthiest I can.

My latest quest is to a homemade pantry.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Monday: Burritos
Tuesday: Chickpea Piccata with Caulipots and Sweet and Maple Carrots
Wednesday: Scrambled Eggs in Puff Pastry with Fruit Salad
Thursday: Portuguese White Bean Soup with Lemon Tomato Salad and Biscuits
Friday: Pizza
Saturday: Veggie Dogs and Laser Tag
Sunday: Maple Salmon, Roasted Veggies and Quinoa with Salad and Pumpkin and Lemon Pie

Burritos
We woke up to a blanket of snow covering our little world. I know that there were so many people unhappy to see the snow but I love the first snowfall. It's not that I'm so excited to see the snow, but that it gives the morning a kind of peaceful calm. The world is quieter the morning of the first snowfall...at least for a few minutes as we all stare out in amazement, like we had no idea this was coming. The Earth has finally closed it's eyes to get some needed rest and we bare quiet witness for a few moments...Then it's rush, rush, rush as Dave tries to get out the door early in case traffic's bad and the girls gulp down their breakfast and beg to go out and put their mark on the blank canvass of the backyard, sigh...life moves forward.

Recipe
Monday is skating and we don't get home until after six, so it is a wonderful day for leftovers or a one pot meal. Today it was both. We had some chili left from yesterday, I added a handful of bocconcini cheese while it was heating which melted in perfectly and then piled some in warm tortilla wraps with some sour cream, salsa and hot peppers.


Chickpea Piccata with Caulipots and Sweet and Maple Carrots
The most stressful part of the day is getting Hannah from the bus stop after school. If I'm not there to meet the bus it won't drop her off (which is good), so I'm always worried that this will happen and trying to get there with a two year old is not an easy feat. If I were on my own it would be a two to three minute walk to the bus stop (five to be safe), with Harper we leave fifteen minutes ahead and I'm still worried, as we usually get there to see the bus only a couple blocks away. We stop at every driveway, periodically she stops to jump of a curb once or twice or thirty times, she needs to swing around every pole, play peek-a-boo around all the parked cars and often with no warning walks backwards with no end in site. Her walk is way more fun than mine!

Recipe
The recipe for the chickpea piccata can be found on this post. I find it to be a lovely comfort food. The carrot recipe can be found on this post, although carrots don't sound super exciting this are really worth trying!


Scrambled Eggs in Puff Pastry with Fruit Salad
What is it about littles holding their fingers up to show you a number that is so cute? I think it's because they have to hold them right up to their cheeks and kind of whisper the number. This is exactly what Harper did today when we were making muffins and she wanted to have two, one when they were ready and one with Hannah after school, she was so cute that I had to say yes. I could just eat her sometimes. I'm trying to treasure all these moments, the year from two to three seems to be such a huge change. I still get glimpses of my baby right now, but I know that once this year is up it'll be all three year old...

Recipe
The muffins that we made were from Living Lou and they are very yummy without being too sweet.

Seriously, I should bake with her more often.
Whole Wheat Apple Muffins
1 1/2 cups chopped apple
1 cup oats
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup apple cider
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

*we also added 1/4 cup of raisins at Harper's request.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin tin.

Start by peeling and chopping the apples, place them aside in a bowl.

In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients, (flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg,) create a well in the middle.

In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (yogurt, apple cider, vegetable oil, vanilla, and egg).
Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients. Mix just until combine. Add the apples and walnuts, mixing until evenly distributed. Be careful not to over-mix as that will create a very dense muffing.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into the muffin tin until about 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until when pricked with a toothpick it comes out clean.

Supper was inspired by this one at Jo Cooks but as it had ham in it I changed it a little bit.

1 Sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 baby zuchini, cut in quarters and chopped
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup swiss cheese
Olive oil
1 egg for eggwash

Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Heat a glugg of olive oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the rest of the veggies and saute until soft and then set aside.

Scramble the eggs in the pan and mix in the veggies and let mixture cool a little.

Lay the puff pastry out on the parchment and cut slits, 2 1/2 inches in length every 1 inch. Fill the middle with egg mixture and then alternating between each side, cover the middle by pulling over the cut edges in a braidlike pattern.

Brush with eggwash and then bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Serve

Portuguese White Bean Soup with Lemon Tomato Salad and Biscuits
On the way home from swimming lessons tonight Harper chirps up from the backseat, as we're stuck in traffic, "I see a monkey." Hannah and I ask her where, as we are very perplexed about the monkey in traffic, and she says, "Wright tere on the bicycle." Sure enough ahead of us and in the next lane is a man on a motorcycle, and I suggest that perhaps it's a man she says, "No, (eyes big and determined) it's a monkey." (I feel I should clarify that it was dark and cold out and the man had on a jacket with a helmet so you couldn't actually see any part of the man, I think it was the way his legs were positioned on the bike - not that he actually looked like a monkey).

Recipe
My parents are in Portugal right now on vacation and so when I saw this soup I thought we should have it. It was a hit, Hannah gobbled it all up. Dave found the biscuit recipe and made them while we were at swimming, they were really good. The soup and salad recipe are both from Moosewood Cooks at Home while the biscuit recipe was from allrecipes.com.

1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium red or yellow bell pepper
1 bay leaf
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1 medium potato
2 Tbsp dry sherry (didn't have any and used a little white wine instead)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups veggie stock or water
2 cups undrained canned white beans (19 oz can)
ground black pepper to taste

In a soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the onions soften. While the onions, saute, chop the bell pepper. Add the bay leaf, salt, fennel and bell peppers to the pot, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes stirring regularly.

Cube the potato and add to the pot along with sherry, lemon juice, and stock or water. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the beans and gently reheat. Add black pepper to taste.

Lemon Tomato Salad
2 tomatoes, chopped or thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste

optional (I added all of them)
1/2 cucumber, sliced
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed
2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings

In a serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper. If you choose to add the cucumber, avocado, and/or red onion, stir them into the tomatoes. Serve immediately.

Biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal, gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 15 to 20 times (Dave didn't do this, he kneaded it in the KitchenAid mixer for 3 minutes instead). Pat dough out to 1 inch thick and cut into rounds with a juice glass. Place the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.

Pizza
Rememberance Day. I wish we lived in a world where we didn't need Rememberance Day. Where we all got along everywhere, shared resources, learned and respected each other's beliefs, worked together to make our planet safe and beautiful. I wish that I was raising my children in a world where I didn't have to try and explain about all the brave men and women out there who fight for us, sacrifice for us and have been lost to us and their families to make our world, country, all that it is. As I look at my family, my life, I live in a country where I feel sheltered and safe and I am grateful (I wish there were a better word) to all of those that have fought and sacrificed and all of those that continue to do so today. Thank you.

Recipe
Pizza Friday, somehow for us it never gets old. We topped ours with mushrooms, olives, hot banana peppers and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.

Veggie Dogs and Lazer Tag
That's right, I said lazer tag, we headed out to Stonewall for my nephew's birthday party (with his friends) and the kids played lazer tag. When we told Hannah about it (Harper's too little to play) she asked, "Are there going to be real bullets in the guns?" I'm quite certain she didn't actually think that there were going to be real bullets, but was trying to put the whole idea of this game together - no little boys in our house means no gun play. She had a lot of fun though!

They were serving hot dogs and so we brought our own veggie dogs, I just cooked them at home, got them all ready in thier buns and wrapped them in foil.

Maple Salmon, Roasted Veggies and Quinoa with Salad and Pumpkin and Lemon Pie
Today Dave and I were standing in the mirror together brushing our teeth and I said, "When I was young, I never thought I would look like this at 33 (while noticing new wrinkles)." Dave said to me, "Aren't you 34?" I responded, "I also never thought that I would forget my own age."

Just a note, after careful consideration and math (luckily I can still remember the year I was born) I am 33.

We had dinner at my cousin's house for a very special nine year olds birthday. It was lovely. I can't believe that he's nine, it seems like all of a sudden he's turned into this big wonderful kid!

Have a wonderful week, I hope the sun shines down on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment