My journey to a homemade pantry and a happy family...

These are my experiences, successes and failures, striving to feed my family the healthiest I can.

My latest quest is to a homemade pantry.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Girl's Town!

Monday: Shepherd's Pie and Salad
Tuesday: Leftovers with Salmon and Coleslaw
Wednesday: Left over Quinoa with Roasted Veggies, Shrimp, Scallops and Peas
Thursday: Oaxacan Potato Soup and Edamame Beans
Friday: Pasta with Oven Roasted Eggplant, Goat Cheese and Mint
Saturday: Out Celebrating Someone Very Wonderful
Sunday: Curry Rice Soup and Bread with Ice Cream and Pineapple

Harper's very excited that she can now touch both sides of the doorway!
Shepherd's Pie and Salad
Dave left this morning for Calgary and will be gone until Saturday, it's girl's town over here. I feel like maybe I should put up some sparkles or something. Although, they really do get everywhere and I find that very annoying...I may just move some furniture around or something.

The three of us headed out to the airport to pick up my parents this evening. Hannah actually chose to miss skating to go to the airport even though she would have been able to see them after skating. Somethings are just more exciting when your a kid. It was pretty fun to watch her jumping up and down when she saw them coming down the stairs (they were only gone for two weeks, but to Hannah I think it seemed like a lot longer, she really missed them).

Recipe
I made shepherd's pie for us to have when we got home from the airport, it needs a little tweaking, my potato to filling ration was off - needs more potatoes I tried to adjust it here.

2 small onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed
olive oil
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 baby zucchini, chopped
2 1/2 cups mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage

1 batch of veggie gravy found here.

8 - 10 red skinned potatoes, boiled and then smashed (with skin on)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.

Prepare gravy.

In a large skillet heat a good glugg of olive oil and saute onions, carrots, celery and pepper until slightly softened. Add garlic, thyme and sage and cook a couple more minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook until tender. Once veggies are done add in gravy and combine. Pour veggies into a large, deep baking dish.

Smash up the potatoes adding in the milk and sour cream until smooth. Spread over the veggies and bake for about 30 minutes, until bubbly.

We had this with just a simple salad.

Leftovers with Salmon and Coleslaw
I'm often reminded how lucky and supported me and my family is and today was no exception. After dropping Hannah off at the bus stop I brought Harper over to my parents and my dad watched her all afternoon so I could go for a run and have coffee with my mom, grandma, aunts and cousins. I then went back to their house where they fed us dinner and my cousin took Hannah to the Winnipeg Jets Skills Competition with his two boys. It was actually kind of a vacation day for me. Hannah had so much fun at the competition, the thing she talked about most? The free Home Depot bag that she got, she told me she could have gotten a hat, but thought that I could use the bag for groceries - she's really a very thoughtful little girl (I really hope I remember to take it to the store with me tomorrow).

My parents grilled salmon on the BBQ, made a really yummy coleslaw and we had leftover shepherd's pie with it.

Left over Quinoa with Roasted Veggies, Shrimp, Scallops and Peas
I'm so glad that Dave doesn't usually go away, we're missing him a lot. Harper has woken up everyday looked over to Dave's side of the bed and asked, "Where Daddy?" When I remind her that he's gone until Saturday she asks me, "Is it Saturday today?" She's so cute.

Recipe
We had Sunday dinner at my cousins and they made quinoa with veggie stock and then stirred in some roasted veggies, it was delicious and there was a lot so she sent some home with me. I've been eating it for lunch the past couple of days and then for supper tonight I sauteed some chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil, added a little white wine and  let it cook and then add some shrimp, scallops and peas. Once the seafood was almost ready I added the quinoa so it could heat up. It was simple and delicious.


Oaxacan Potato Soup and Edamame Beans
Winter is here...well, not really it's still fall (this is a large source of confusion in our house), but I'm pretty sure the snow this morning is here to stay and so is the chill. I took Harper to get some new winter boots this afternoon, hers are just not very warm, at the mall. We found a great pair on sale and we saw Santa at the center of the mall. Harper was in awe. She was first fascinated with all the moving stuffed characters that they have around his village and then she spotted the big guy and could only utter a whisper, "Santa." She stared at him with big eyes and when he finished with the little boy on his lap he turned and waved to her, she stuck up her little hand and waved back whispering, "Hi, Santa." We didn't sit on his knee because we're going to wait for Hannah (and I can't seem to bring myself to have them on his knee before December).

When Hannah got home we told her all about it and this was the topic of conversation to and from swimming lessons tonight. You could actually see the sparkle and magic in their eyes. On the way home Hannah asks me, "Do you think Santa can hear everyone anywhere because he's so magical?" I answered (my standard), "I don't know, he is pretty magical." I could then hear Hannah in the backseat whispering, "Hi, Santa."

Recipe
This recipe is from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. I really love it, like really decadent mashed potatoes but better, it's best with all the fixings. We had this with edamame beans.

2 cups chopped onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 tsps prepared yellow mustard
1 cup peeled and diced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup chopped green olives
1/4 cup chopped pickeled jalepeno or banana peppers
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp black pepper

Chopped red onions

In a soup pot on medium heat, saute th eonions in the butter about 7 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the potatoes, water, salt, and mustard. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Cook until the potatoes are just soft, about 10 minutes.

Remove the soup pot from the heat and coarsley mash the potatoes in the soup pot with a potato masher. Use slow, steady pressure to avoid splashing th ehot cookin gliquid. Return the soup pot to the heat, add the carrots, cover and summer for 5 minutes. Add the peas, olives, and pickled peppers and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, just until the peas are tender.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, black pepper, and a couple of ladlefuls of the soup broth. Pour the hot sour cream mixture back into the soup pot and stir well.

Serve garnished with chopped red onions.

Pasta with Oven Roasted Eggplant, Goat Cheese and MintHere's a little lesson I learnt today. If you are claustrophobic (even to a small degree) do not hide in a small, squishy, restricting space if your seeker is two, trust me. We recently set up a little camping area for the kids with these two little tents (one much smaller than the other) so today when Harper and I were playing hide and seek, she was counting and I was desperately looking for somewhere to hide (probably because I wasted 1 -10 looking at a flyer and she was now quickly on her way to 20 - and she skips 15) so I tried to quickly dash into the tent. I didn't realized that the smaller tent was in the bigger tent, the doorways slightly lined up (but not), and it was full of stuffies and a sleeping bag until it was too late. I was already halfway in when I heard, "Wenty...weady or not ere I ome." I had to continue, and so I heaved the rest of my body in, curled up in a very uncomfortable position and listened to her toddle past me again and again. My breath made the air very hot in the tent, I felt like the space was getting smaller and smaller and I would never find my way out of the tangle of stuffies, sleeping bag and entrances. This voice in my head kept saying, "Just get out, seriously....seriously, I think you can do this for a few minutes." So there I sat sweating in my own personal hell until Harper finally found me. When she did, I had to push her aside (gently) as I tried to escape from the tent, in my haste I tried to come out head, legs and bum all at the same time...I'm not actually small enough to do that, so I kind of got stuck for a moment or two, panicked, calmed and then was able to get free. Harper kind looked at me a little funny and then declared, "You turn to count."

Recipe
We had this pasta from this post which I is really one of my favorites right now.

Appetizers
My morning started at 4:30...I'm so glad Dave's came home today. We did go out and shovel the driveway and then began a pile for our winter snow fort in the backyard. It's so funny, every year we plan on cleaning up all the toys in the yard before the snow flies and every year the snow flies and the toys get buried and forgotten about under the white blanket. We will find them again in the spring, half of them broken from the cold. It's like we don't believe the snow is coming until it's actually here - which is funny because I have lived here pretty much my whole life, there has never been a winter where the snow didn't fly.

Dave got home around 4:30 this afternoon and it gave me a flashback to when Hannah was a newborn and every minute that Dave was late coming home felt like an eternity. The three of us were in the window watching him pay the cab driver and seriously, I felt like he was in that cab for 15 minutes and I was getting more and more annoyed - what is he doing in there? Perception is a funny thing, I'm sure it was five minutes and he was simply paying the man. I receive so much help and support when he's away (which is like once or twice a year) and yet I still complain and pine for him to be back, it's really a little pathetic but I think I'm O.K. with that.

Recipe
I actually ran out the door shortly after Dave got home to gather with a very wonderful group of women to celebrate one of their birthdays. We all brought different snacks and then had yummy chocolate cake with chocolate sauce for dessert. This is what I had for dinner, I'm pretty sure Dave and the kids had pancakes. I brought bruschetta with baguette toasts and this olive tapenade from epicurious that I slightly altered.

1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1 cup mixed green olives pitted
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained
1 Tbsp capers
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 Tbsp fresh oregano
1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 cup olive oil

Put all the ingredients, except the oil, in a food processor and whirl together. Once it's all chopped up together add the oil at the end and combine.

There was some left and in the morning I cooked up a one egg omelet, spread a little of the tapenade on it with a little bruschetta and rolled it up and ate it - mmmmm it was delicious.

Curry Rice Soup and Bread with Ice Cream and Pineapple
What a wonderfully lazy day. I slept until eleven, that's right I said eleven! We all kind of lazed around, the girls played outside for awhile, working on the snow pile fort while Dave and I talked about our renovation plans (a very common topic these days) and tried to figure out how we could love our house in the meantime. It was perfectly lovely, there was a big football game on that we turned on, I didn't really watch not being much of a football fan, but we won and I'm very happy for all the fans!

We ended our day walking down to my parents for Sunday dinner. Hannah arrived first and declared, "It's very toasty in there, I know because I saw Pepere built a fire!" It was very toasty, cozy and the soup was delicious. I will have to get the recipe and share it next week!

I hope the sun shines down on you this week!

1 comment: